CORN CHEESE TOAST

It's been a long... no, pretty long break! I know.. More than an year, I guess. No excuses, but yeah, last year was one hell of a ride. Within 12 months, I myself do not realise, how I managed to shift from Kolkata to Chennai and then Chennai to Mumbai, finish my post-grad diploma and now finally landed up in a job...

Movies like Wake Up Sid create a vague dream world in your mind.. You crave to have that One RK Flat in Mumbai, overseeing the Arabian Sea with the beautiful cityscape in the backdrop. But, trust me..none of that comes true. At least, when you are a complete fresher, it is extremely difficult to find a cheap yet good house in Mumbai. It took me almost two months to finally settle in this new city. Also, this fancy thought to independence and staying alone is not so fancy sometimes. You miss home.. You crave for home food... You wake up every morning with a thought "Oh shit, I need to finish this as well today". The responsibility increases with the independence. One actually learns how to manage time.

My life now revolves around my office and my home. When I get some free time after finishing my work, after cribbing about my life and after wishing that I could spend one more year in my last college, I get to do some cooking. Corn cheese toast has always been a favourite. It refreshes the memories of my graduation days. The Sandwich stall right outside JD Park Metro station was a lifeline for three years..Their corn cheese sandwich is just heavenly. 😍

This simple, yet amazing, sandwich can be a real good evening snack, or maybe you can make it for breakfast if you are not lazy in the morning!!!


Recipe:


What you need

  • 2-3 slices of Bread
  • 1 cup Corn Kernels
  • 1/2 cup Capsicum, chopped
  • 2 tbsp Butter
  • 2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
  • 1 tsp Oregano 
  • 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
  • 1/3 cup Milk
  • 2 Cheese Cubes, grated
  • Salt to taste


How to make it?

  • Boil the corn kernels in a microwave or a pressure cooker. Saute the capsicum in butter till they get tender. 
  • In a pan, prepare the white sauce. For that, heat 1 tbsp butter in a frying pan. Add the all purpose flour to it after the butter melts. Fry it for some time, till it gets cooked. Gradually stir the milk in it, whisking it continuously so that no lumps are formed. Switch off the flame after it becomes like a thick white sauce.
  • To the white sauce, add the boiled corn kernels, capsicum, black pepper, oregano and salt.
  • Butter two sides of your bread slice and apply the white sauce mixture on one side. Top it up with grated cheese.
  • Toast the breads in a frying pan and cover it with a lid so that the cheese in it melts perfectly.
  • Serve it hot with ketchup...

Cheers, enjoy!!!



Comments