DAAL ER BORA DIYE KANCHA TOMATOR CHORCHORI

Winter is officially over, and I promised myself that I would learn a simple dish from Dida using any one winter vegetable or fruit. A few weeks earlier, Dida sent us this dish and said "Kheye dekhish kemon lage, tarpore bolbo eta ki". (First try this dish and then I will reveal what exactly is this). I tasted it and loved it. Oh yes, I love each and everything that Dida makes, so it was quite obvious I would like it too. Well, then she revealed that it is made using Kancha Tomato (Green Tomatoes). Now, this was the first time I tasted Green tomatoes so, I couldn't make a guess. The mild tangy flavor of the tomatoes and the slightly pungent flavor of the mustard seeds blend well and leads to this amazing, yet simple recipe. She shared the recipe with me, along with some minor scoldings. (I don't know why she thinks I should study all the time and cooking deviates my mind. I tried explaining her,but never mind). 


Recipe:


Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Resting Time: 5-6 hours, or overnight
Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Serves 4

What you need?


For the fritters,
  • 1 cup    Matar Daal (Split Peas)
  • 2 tsp     Kaalo Jeere (Nigella Seeds)
  • 1 tsp     Turmeric Powder
  • Salt, to taste
  • Oil, for frying 
For the Chorchori, 
  • 5-6       Green tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp  Mustard Seeds 
  • 2           Green Chilies
  • 1 tsp    Refined Oil 
  • 1 tsp    Turmeric Powder
  • 1 tsp    Sugar
  • Salt, to taste

How to make it?


For the lentil fritters (Daal er Bora),
  • Soak the Daal in water overnight or for at least four to five hours. 
  • Drain the excess water and make a paste of it.
  • In the paste, add Kaalo Jeere (Nigella seeds), turmeric powder and salt. 
  • Heat oil in a pan.
  • Make small balls out of the mixture and add the balls one by one in the hot oil.
  • Fry the fritters till they are golden brown in colour. 
  • Take them out and drain the excess oil in a tissue paper. 
DAAL ER BORA

For the chorchori, 
  • Cut the green tomatoes in quarters and deseed them. 
  • Make a paste of mustard seeds with slit green chilies and a little amount of water. 
  • In a pan, heat oil and add a few whole mustard seeds to it. 
  • When the seeds start spluttering, add the green tomato quarters in the pan. 
  • Add salt and turmeric powder to it, and cook it till it becomes a bit tender. 
  • Then, add the mustard-green chili paste and some water. 
  • Add a little sugar to the dish. 
  • Stir it well, and then add the lentil fritters in the pan. 
  • Cook till the flavors are perfectly blended, and the tomatoes are cooked completely. 
KANCHA TOMATOR CHORCHORI

Comments